Work Visa Attorney Dallas/Irving TX: H-1 C Visa for Nurses

Work Visa Attorney

Getting an H-1C visa is not something a nurse should do on their own. If you’re a foreign nurse who wishes to apply your skills in the U.S., you’ll need to elicit help from an attorney.

So, how does this happen?

Contact a Work Visa Attorney Dallas/Irving Based Professional

If you’re planning to reside and work in the Dallas/Irving TX metro area, you need to contact a work visa attorney in Dallas/Irving TX based firm about the H-1C visa process.

To address the shortfall of competent nurses in certain places in the U.S., the Nursing Relief for Disadvantaged Areas Act (NRDAA) established the H-1C program in 1999. 

The U.S. Department of Labor has concluded that there is a temporary nursing shortage in the country, so this law permits foreign nurses to temporarily work as RNs in those areas. 

Nationally, only 500 nurses can be given H-1C status in a fiscal year. In addition, there are numerical restrictions for each state based on its population.

Preparing for the Journey

To qualify for an H-1C visa, a nurse from another country must have:

  • An unrestricted nurse’s license from where they finished their nursing program; or
  • Received nursing training in the U.S.

In addition, the qualified visa candidate must meet the following criteria:

  • Have authorization from the U.S. State Board of Nursing in Texas;
  • Successfully passed the exam that the Commission on Graduates for Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) gives; 
  • Have a fully unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse (RN) in Texas; or
  • Have a fully unrestricted RN license in the U.S. State and have temporary authorization to practice in this capacity in Texas

RNs who are not U.S. citizens must also be fully qualified, under the laws where they’ll work (in this case, Texas) and have authorization to work under the law by the hospital. They must also be screened for an H1-C visa.

If you’re a citizen of a foreign country and wish to work as a nurse in the U.S., getting an H1-C visa is a priority. With an immigration attorney’s help, you can change your non-immigrant status to immigrant status so you can stay in the U.S. permanently. 

The H1-C visa is the result of a coordinated effort of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS). Each H1-C visa requires a prospective employer to file a petition with the USCIS, which must be approved before the nurse can apply for a work visa.

As you can see obtaining a visa as a nurse is complicated. That is why you need to confer with an immigration attorney.

Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility

Your attorney will walk you through all the necessary steps of the H1-C process after it’s confirmed that you meet the requirements for eligibility.

Again, in basic terms, you can proceed if:

  • You’re an RN with a license from your home country or the US;
  • Have a job offer from a hospital in an underserved area;
  • Meet the training, licensing, and educational requirements of the state

Step 2: Obtain a Sponsor

An essential part of securing an H1-C visa is finding an employer to sponsor your application. Focus on hospitals that are currently experiencing nursing shortages in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). 

Once you obtain a job offer, your sponsoring employer will need to submit an I-129 Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker form on your behalf.

Step 3: Apply for the H1-C Visa

After your employer submits an I-129 form, you’ll need to file for an H1-C visa at your nearest U.S. consulate or embassy by submitting the DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application form online.  

You’ll also need your valid passport, a passport-sized photograph, and a copy of your I-129 petition receipt notice from USCIS.

Again, nurses trained outside of the U.S. must also provide verification of their foreign education credentials through the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) International.

Step 4: Schedule Your Visa Interview

Once your DS-160 form is submitted, schedule a visa interview at your closest U.S. embassy or consulate. Arrive prepared with your receipt numbers, and all required documentation, and be prepared to answer questions about your education, work history, and reasons for pursuing work in the U.S.

Step 5: Receive Approval

After a successful interview, your H1-C visa will be granted and stamped in your passport. You’re now free to travel to the United States to begin your new job as an H1-C nurse.

Remember that this visa category has a cap of 500 H1-C visas per fiscal year, so timely filing is crucial. 

Work Visa Attorney
Talk to a Work Visa Attorney in Dallas/Irving TX Based Firm Today

Are you seeking an H1-C visa? If so, now is the time to schedule a time to speak to a work visa attorney in Dallas/Irving TX based firm now. The slots for gaining the visa are small, so there is no time like the present to follow your career goals and dreams. Contact the Rijal Law firm to get your visa and begin now.

Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content