Immigration Services

We help businesses, families, and individuals navigate the immigration process and reach their goals

Corporations / Employees
V Visa
It is unfortunately common for families to be separated during the immigration process while a Green Card holder in the United States files for sponsorship. The V-visa is a temporary visa designed to keep families together throughout the long and often difficult process of obtaining lawful status. The V-visa is a non-immigrant visa, which means it’s temporary and does not grant residency.
Naturalization Exceptions
Eligibility and Application
Permanent residents or citizens can sponsor their children, fianc(e)és, and/or spouses for immigrant visas, but the process can take time – often upwards of two year. During that time, some applicants are eligible to keep their families together with a V-visa. Your spouse, children, and stepchildren may be eligible for a V-visa provided the following circumstances:

if you filed form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) on or before December 21, 2000;
if the family member has been waiting more than three years since you filed the I-130;
and/or if the immigrant visa is not available or the status is pending.

To apply for a V visa for someone who is already in the U.S., you would use Form I-539 Application to Change Nonimmigrant Status and Form I-539 Supplement A, as well as Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. For a family member outside of the U.S., that person would need to go through consular processing. Our mission at Rijal Law Firm is to help you get your family together and keep them together, as quickly as possible.

Our Affiliations

Skip to content