Immigration Services

We help businesses, families, and individuals navigate the immigration process and reach their goals

Corporations / Employees
R Visa
The R-1 Nonimmigrant Visa is designed for those travelling to the United States to work as either a full-time or part-time minister in a religious vocation, or as a religious worker in certain areas. Religious workers, for the purposes of this visa, include individuals who are authorized by a recognized entity to conduct religious worship and perform duties performed by members of the clergy of that religion.
Employment Based Green Card - EB-1B - Employers Green Card - Rijal Law Firm
The term covers not only priests, ministers, and rabbis, but also commissioned officers of the Salvation Army, salaried Buddhist monks, ordained deacons and practitioners, and nurses of the Christian Science Church. The R Visa for religious workers is solely for people doing work directly connected to the church or the core spiritual activities of religious organizations. The job itself further must be religious in nature, such as a minister, choir director, or monk.
An R-1 nonimmigrant can work for more than one bona fide religious organization at the same time. In such a case, each employing organization needs to apply separate Form I-129 and R-1 Classification Supplement. There is no annual limit on issuing R-1 visas.

You can be considered eligible for this classification if you meet the following criteria:

You must be a member of a religious denomination that has a bona fide religious organization in the US for a minimum of two years before applying.
You will be employed by a non-profit religious organization in the US or either by an organization affiliated with the religious organization
You will work in the US at least for 20 hours per week
You will work for the employer who files your petition
You are a minister and will work in a religious occupation
You will not work in any other capacity except the religious worker

On your behalf, the US employer needs to file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. The employer and the religious worker both need to meet certain criteria which should be supported with satisfactory evidence The petitioner must document all of the locations where the R-1 nonimmigrant will be working. If there is a chance that the R-1 nonimmigrant will be shifted between different locations within a larger organization, the larger organization will need to file the petition.

In case the employer believes that any requirement of the classification burdens the organization’s exercise of religion, it can seek exemption under the RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act). Such an exemption requires that a written request be made at the time of the initial filing. The request needs to explain how a particular provision:

Requires participation in an activity prohibited by a sincerely held religious belief, or
Prevent participation in conduct that is motivated by religious beliefs

Spouse and unmarried children below 21 years of age can apply for R-2 Visas. These visas will allow such derivative beneficiaries to stay in the US; however, they will not be allowed to accept employment during that time.

R-1 Visas may be issued both to members of the clergy and to lay religious workers, for an initial term of up to 30 months, and then to a maximum stay of five years.

Our Affiliations

Skip to content