More Than a “Green Card Through Spouse” – a Family-Based Green Card

Green Card Through Spouse

Have you been looking for the best way to immigrate to the United States? If you are married to a citizen of the United States, then that method may very well be to apply for a green card through spouse, through your marriage. However, it’s important to note that someone doesn’t’ exactly have to be your spouse to qualify for a family-based green card. We’re always glad to talk to people about how we can help their immigration journey. 

Steps for Getting a Green Card Through a Family Member 

To become an LPR (“Lawful Permanent Resident”) of the United States based on a familial relationship with a citizen, there is a process to follow. The very first step is to file an immigration visa petition (Form I-130) and get that approved. This has to be filed by a US citizen or a relative who’s an LPR. Next, the Department of State has to see if there’s an immigrant visa number available. If the person applying is already in America, then they can apply for adjustment of their status after a visa number becomes available. Should they be outside the country, then they can complete the processing with the Department of State’s National Visa Center. We understand this can be complicated but we can help throughout the process. 

What to Know About Getting a Green Card Through Spouse 

It’s impossible to overstate exactly how much the USCIS dislikes the idea of a “sham” marriage. It’s something that they are always on the lookout for people who are perhaps not in love, or only getting married so that one member or another could receive immigration benefits. The USCIS watches for this so closely that even a small mistake, a bit of missing evidence, can be enough for your application to be denied. Worse, this can cause you to lose your priority date and thus have to go back in line. We can work to keep that from happening. 

Green Card Through Spouse

The Best Option for You and Your Family 

The Family Based Green Card very well could be the best way for you and yours to immigrate to the United States. However, it’s far from the only way. We’ve helped many to continue along this path but there are many other paths available. Here at the Rijal Law Firm, we offer free consultations. With these consultations, we’ll sit down with you and hear your story. Then, we’ll suggest how we may be able to help. To take the next step, you can reach us at (855) 997-4525.

Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content