Green Card Through Marriage: What to Know

Green Card Through Marriage

Do you want to immigrate your spouse to the United States? Or, have you talked to your spouse about immigrating to be with them in America? Acquiring a green card through marriage is one of the most efficient paths to US citizenship. However, it can be a challenging, circuitous process. The USCIS is very particular about who does and does not qualify, as, even after marriage permanent residence is not guaranteed. That’s where we can help. The Rijal Law Firm has helped plenty of couples to live in the United States how they want. Now, we can put that experience to work for your marriage. 

How the Process Works 

To obtain a green card through marriage, the process starts with the American citizen (or LPR relative/sponsor) filing Form I-130. If the USCIS approves that, then the Department of State has to determine whether or not an immigrant visa number is available immediately to the foreign national. This occurs even if the immigrant national is already in America. Once it’s available, the individual can apply to have an immigrant visa number assigned. 

Once a number becomes available, the next step depends on where the individual is. If they’re outside of the US, the Department of State’s National Visa Center will contact them to complete the processing. If they’re in America, they can apply for an adjustment of status. 

How We Can Guide You to Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage

The process described in the paragraph above may sound straightforward and even fast, but it can actually be difficult to navigate. The USCIS examines closely everyone who applies for this, just to make sure that everything is on the “up and up,” and that there are no “sham” marriages. If there is even the slightest appearance of impropriety, this can cause you to lose your priority date (and thus have to wait in line again for several years) or, worse, result in your application being denied. Here at Rijal, we can help you to avoid this, so that you have the best possible case on behalf of both you and your spouse. 

Valid Marriage Documentation 

We can do so in a variety of ways, not the least of which is in helping you to collect the proper documentation for your application. For example, to show that you have a valid marriage, we can make sure you have the right documentation, whether it’s joint ownership of a property, co-mingling financial resources documentation, third-party affidavits, or others. 

Green Card Through Marriage

Immigration Attorneys for Your Immigration 

We do not mention the extent to which the USCIS scrutinizes these applications to scare you, but rather, to show you how important it is to work with someone who has guided others through this same process successfully. If you and your spouse want to live together in the United States, we can help the two of you in a variety of ways. For a free case evaluation, message us through our site or call us.

Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content