J Visa:

Exchange Visitors (J-1 visa)

J-1 status, allows aliens to enter the United States to participate in exchange visitor programs which will provide them with training and experience in various fields. The applicant for a J-1 visa must be sponsored by a designated exchange visitor program. The policy is based on the 1960 Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act.

Spouses and children of J-1 visa holders are allowed to enter the United States with J-2 Visas. Dependents are allowed to work, subject to certain restrictions. J applicants have to prove to the U.S. consulate that they have a foreign residence that they do not intend to abandon–in other words, J exchange visitors are not entitled to a dual intent. Often, J-1 visitors are subjects to the two-year foreign residency requirement and require a waiver. Application of the requirement depends on the individual’s country of origin and the skills of the individual at the time of application.

Loading please wait....