Visitor and B Visa

B Visa:

There are two types of B visas: B-1 and B-2. A B-1 is issued to those desiring to temporarily enter the U.S. to consult with company associates; attend scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions and conferences; settle an estate; or negotiate a contract. A B-2 visa is issued to those entering the U.S. for tourism, amusement, visiting family and friends, medical treatment, and for social or service-orientated activities. Below is an outline of requirements and explanations for the B-1 and B-2 visas.

Also see the Visa Waiver Program to check if you’re eligible to enter the U.S. for 90 days or less without a business or tourist visa.  [[When someone clicks on “Visa Waiver Program” in this line or in the side module they will be directed to the bottom of this page to the Visa Waiver Program section]]

B Visa Requirements
1. You are entering for a limited amount of time
2. You intend to depart the U.S. at the expiration of your visa
3. You maintain a foreign residence while you are in the U.S. with no intention of abandoning it
4. You have sufficient financial means to support yourself while you are in the U.S.
5. You will only engage only legitimate in activities compatible with the B-1 or B-2 visa.

Length of Trip
For B-1, a visitor is able to stay in the U.S. for as long as need to conduct his or her business. Usually this time span is less than 3 months.

For a non-business visitor on a B-2 visa, the applicant is automatically given 6 months to stay in the U.S. It is uncommon for a B-2 visitor to stay more or less than the standard 6 month period.

How to Apply for a B visa
You can conveniently apply with the U.S. consulate in your country.

What you may need when entering at the border
It is good idea for the traveller to carry a letter from his or her company stating the purpose of the trip. This letter is similar to the letter need when filling the visa application that states the following:

  • Purpose of trip
  • Length of trip
  • Shows the B visa holder’s strong ties to his or her home country and steady employment history with the company
  • Letter of invitation to come to the U.S. as well as hotel reservations or other evidence of travel arrangements
  • Copies of supporting documents that were used in the application
  • The return ticket of his or her round-trip
  • Evidence of enough financial support during their stay in the U.S.

Family Members

There is no derivative status for B visas. Each applicant must apply independently.

Loading please wait....