The Fundamentals of Obtaining a Green Card for Your Wife

Visa Attorney

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and are married to a foreign national, you may be eligible to petition for your spouse to obtain a green card. Your wife can apply for a green card based on your marriage regardless of where she currently resides. Learn how a visa attorney can help you with all the necessary requirements as well as the basics of obtaining a green card in the following post.

The Main Differences Between a Green Card and a Visa

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), there are important distinctions between a visa and a green card that have to do with travel and entry. The immigrant’s ability to enter the United States is indicated by a visa stamp in their passport.  The purpose of some visas is strictly touristic, while others, like immigration visas, grant the holder permission to work and permanently reside in the United States. The endpoint of being a green card holder is the option to become a naturalized citizen of the United States. It takes five years of being a green card holder before one can apply for US citizenship.

Bringing My Wife To The U.S. Using My Green Card

The F2A category allows you to petition for your spouse to obtain a green card based on your marriage. Many people usually wonder if a green card holder is eligible to apply for a green card for their spouse. It is a common misconception that only citizens of the United States can submit a petition to have their spouse granted a green card. It’s not like that at all. Under the F2A visa category, permanent residents may petition for their wives. Make sure you and your wife fulfill all the prerequisites for a green card based on your marriage, and then you can file for your wife.

How About Applying  For A Green Card If My Wife Already Has One?

Yes, in most cases. Your wife’s green card status will allow her to file a petition for your green card under the F2A category, which is the second preference for green cards based on family ties. Be sure that you and your wife have everything you need to apply for a green card based on your marriage.

The Importance of Hiring a Lawyer For a Marriage Visa

Consulting with an immigration attorney for assistance with wife or fiance visa or green card paperwork and approval can help you get closer to your goals faster. The first step of the process will take about a year, and each step after that will add about a month to your total wait time. Setting up an interview and a medical exam is the second part of the application process.

Key Requirements When Applying for a US Visa for My Wife

You and your future spouse must ensure you are both eligible for a marriage-based green card before beginning the green card-wife process. You must fulfill the following requirements for her if you want to apply for a green card for her. While these are not all the requirements, they are some of the most important ones.

  • You are either a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
  • The law has recognized your marriage to your wife. It is not required that the wedding take place in the US. A marriage may be valid internationally, but it must be recognized as such in the country where it was performed.
  • Valid paperwork must show that you and your partner did not get together to get around U.S. immigration laws.
  • When filing for a green card for a spouse, the US citizen must show that their joint income is at least 125% of the federal poverty guidelines for their household size. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to find a co-sponsor.

What Documentation Will You Need To Apply For Your Wife’s Green Card?

We’ve outlined some of the most important paperwork your wife’s green card application will require below. You will get a request for evidence (RFE) if the government decides it needs more information while processing your I-129F. Since each situation is unique, please keep in mind that you may need to submit additional paperwork along with the ones listed below:

  • Documentation proving your right to live and work in the United States, such as a passport, birth certificate, or permanent resident card.
  • As for your marriage, you’ll need to present a marriage license or certificate proving your marriage is valid.
  • Proof of a serious long-term commitment includes living together; being financially responsible for each other; going out in public as husband and wife, filing taxes together, sharing custody of minor children; and having a valid marriage license.

Visa Attorney

Professional Legal Counsel to Help You Keep Your Green Card

Do you live in the United States and want to know “how to apply for a green card for my wife?” Contact the Rijal Law Firm for further information. You can call the law firm at (885) 997-4525 today. Our visa attorney can help you figure out the best way to apply for your wife’s green card. If you and your wife want to start a family in the United States,

Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content