How Long Does it Take to Get a Green Card Through Spouse?

get a green card through your spouse

Are you married to someone in the United States and want to immigrate there? Do you want to get a green card through your spouse? It is possible. We can help. But, unfortunately, it can’t happen overnight. No matter your situation, it can be a lengthy process. However, here at the Rijal Law Firm, we can guide you through it, every step of the way. For years, we’ve helped people who are in the exact position you are right now: seeking to immigrate to the United States to be with their spouse. 

What Determines Length of Time 

First off, to answer your question, on average, taking every scenario into account, it takes more or less one year. If you’re married to someone in the US, then it could take 15 months, it could take 11 months, or somewhere in between. That said, there are factors that can influence it, one way or the other. The biggest factors are whether the beneficiary (you) lives in America or abroad and whether or not your spouse (the petitioner) is a citizen of the United States or a Permanent Resident. 

Are you Married to a Green Card Holder? 

Should this be the case, then how long this takes will be greatly impacted by whether or not you live abroad or in the United States. For example, if you live in the United States, then everything, from filling out the initial “Adjustment of Status” form to receiving your green card will take somewhere from 38 to 29 months. On the other hand, if you live abroad, then you’ll apply through what’s called “Consular Processing.” This “Immigrant Visa Electronic Application” (essentially an online green card application) will be the beginning, and all told, it should take 32 to 23 months. 

Are You Married to a Citizen? 

If you’re married to a citizen of the United States and you’re already living in the country, then you very well may be in luck. This tends to be the shortest process. Between the application, the processing time, the scheduling of interviews, and the final approval, this can take about 10 to 13 months. If you’re abroad, however, then you’ll have to go through the “Consular Processing” mentioned above. With that, the entire process will be somewhere from 11 up to 17 months.  

get a green card through your spouse

Help With Getting a Green Card Through Spouse and More 

Now, the information above is very simplified, just to show how long this process can take. Everyone’s situation is different. Many of those times are mentioned in terms of “if everything goes smoothly.” As you might imagine, not everything always goes smoothly. However, we can help. Our attorneys can help you whether your spouse is a citizen or a permanent resident, or we may be able to help you to immigrate through another process. For a consultation, you can reach us at (855) 997-4525.  


Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content