A Legal Guide for Adjusting Your Status in the US (Part 2)

Adjustment of Status

In the previous blog post, we reviewed what you needed to do to apply for an adjustment of status for permanent residency. Part two of this guide covers the final details – how you can check on your status and what you’ll need to do to wrap up the approval for your green card so you can live and work as a permanent resident.

Waiting for Approval for Your Adjustment of Status Approval

While your application for an adjustment of status is being evaluated, you may find it difficult to wait for a decision. 

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processes petitions of the same category (employment-based, for instance) in the order in which they were submitted. When a decision has been made, you are often notified through the mail. While you wait, you may check the progress of your application in a number of different ways.

First, you can visit the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov and follow the links to “Case Status Online.” 

Here you will see the dates of case filings that are currently pending at each USCIS office and service center. This information will help you estimate how long it will take to conclude your case. 

Checking the Progress of Your Application Online

To check the progress of your application online, you will need to enter the case’s receipt number. This number consists of the letters “VSC” followed by 10 digits. Your receipt number enables you to access case status details and register for automatic case status updates. 

Call the USCIS Customer Service Center

You may also call the USCIS’s National Customer Service Center at 800-375-5283 to inquire about the status of your application (toll-free). When calling, you must have your receipt number. 

Send an Inquiry by Mail

In addition, you can compose a letter to the local USCIS office or service center where you submitted your application. Include the following information if you make a written request: 

  • Your name and address 
  • An “A” number, if one was assigned to your application 
  • Your date of birth 
  • The date and location where you filed your application 
  • Your receipt number 
  • Any recent notices from USCIS 
  • The date and office where you were fingerprinted and interviewed (if completed) 
  • A copy of your Confirmation Receipt notice, if you filed electronically 

Visit a USCIS Office in Person

You may also bring documents to your local USCIS office to inquire about the progress of your case in person. 

Travel Plans 

If you need to go outside the United States while your application is pending, you must obtain authorization to leave the country beforehand. Before leaving the United States, you must get this authorization in advance, known as Advance Parole. 

If you do not get Advance Parole prior to leaving the country, your application with USCIS will be abandoned and you may not be able to return to the U.S.

If you have made a commitment to living and working in this country, you will find that adjusting your status can be done more easily with the help of a lawyer. By retaining the services of a legal advisor, you can ensure that the paperwork is completed securely and more efficiently.

The Interview at the Local USCIS Office

The final step in the adjustment of the status procedure is an interview at the USCIS office in your area. During the interview, a USCIS employee will evaluate all of your paperwork and supporting documents. 

You can read policy guidelines for USCIS interviews before you schedule an appointment. You can also review the process with an experienced attorney.

He or she will administer an oath, ask you several questions, and assess the results of your medical examination. 

If you are seeking permanent resident status on the basis of your marriage, the examiner may question you and your spouse and request evidence of your life together, such as documentation of shared housing. 

Keep copies of your marriage certificate, wedding announcements, receipts for wedding-related costs, photographs, and any other evidence of your wedding and marriage. 

If you are applying for permanent resident status based on your employment, you will be asked questions concerning your job in the US. 

At the conclusion of the interview, you may be notified of the outcome of your case or requested to provide further evidence so a determination can be made. 

Before permanent resident status is approved, your Conditional Resident Alien status may need to be adjusted by filing Form I-751, or Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. This form is filed 90 days before the second year of being issued CRA status. 

Along with this form, you would submit a conditional green card. This scenario often applies to applicants who held non-immigrant visas and who were married under two years when applying for conditional status. 

As you can see, each case can be different. That is why you should not try proceeding with the immigration process on your own. Instead, it is wiser to contact an immigration attorney who can guide you through all the steps so you can gain permanent residency both quickly and conveniently.

While adjusting your status through the USCIS takes a longer time than getting a green card through a consulate, you can still receive the card in about 8 to 14 months.


The USCIS also requires fingerprinting for immigration applicants. To perform criminal background checks through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), fingerprints are required. 

Applicants must get fingerprint cards from an approved fingerprint location, such as the USCIS office. or US consulates or military bases abroad. 

Electronic fingerprint technology is used to send the majority of fingerprints to the FBI, which significantly reduces the processing time for criminal history checks.

When you complete the interview and fingerprinting requirements, you can talk to your attorney about what happens next. In most cases, you’ll receive a green card shortly after the interview and fingerprinting steps.

Adjustment of Status

Contact the Rijal Law Firm Today

It’s important to secure legal services before submitting an Adjustment of Status in the U.S. so you can make the transition to permanent residency easy and hassle-free. You can begin the journey now by contacting the Rijal Law Firm. Give the firm a call at (951) 667-1919 right away.

Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content