The Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Your Wife a Green Card

Immigration Attorney

If you are a US citizen, your wife may be eligible for a green card under the “immediate relative” category. The most significant benefit of the immediate relative category over the F2A family-based second category is that the number of green cards issued each year is not capped. There are, however, various requisites that need to be met. For example, you will need to submit a number of documents as part of your application for a green card for your wife. The entire process, as well as the benefits of hiring an immigration attorney for your case, is explained in a series of steps below.

How To Obtain A Green Card For Your Wife, Step By Step

First,  you will need to file a form I-129f, petition for alien relative. You can show the government that you want to sponsor your wife for a green card by submitting this petition. Showing the government that you are in a legitimate marriage is the most important part of the immigration petition. Once the immigrant petition is approved, a green card will be set aside for your wife, and the focus will shift to your spouse’s eligibility for green card approval.

Second, Your Wife Submits A Green Card Application.

Your wife must submit a green card application as part of the second stage. Should your wife be located outside of the United States, she can apply for an immigrant visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy. The National Visa Center will forward her completed Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa Electronic Application, to the appropriate US Embassy or Consulate as soon as the I-130 Petition is approved. It is imperative that you fill out this form to prove that your wife does not have any immigration or health issues that would make her inadmissible to the United States.

Count On A Professional Immigration Lawyer

You can rely on us for assistance throughout your green card procedure. Our company was started by immigrants, so we know firsthand how difficult it can be. We’re working to streamline the procedure for people who want to immigrate to the United States so they can start a new chapter in their lives. Get in touch with us online to set up a no-cost initial consultation with an immigration lawyer.

Filing For An Adjustment of Status

Your wife must file Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, in order to change her immigration status. With this document, you’ll be able to prove that your wife meets all of the requirements for permanent residency and that she is not inadmissible for any reason. As long as your wife is already inside the United States, you can file for adjustment of status at the same time as the I-130 petition to sponsor her for a green card as an immediate relative. 

During the time that your application for adjustment of status is being processed, your wife may apply for two separate documents: an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to work in the United States and an Advance Parole Document to temporarily leave the country. Visit our website to learn about the necessary documentation to obtain employment and travel authorization.

A Government-Approved Medical Examination

After getting married and registering as a permanent resident, the wife must then pass a green card medical exam. A government-approved doctor will examine your wife and sign the necessary paperwork before your wife can proceed with the interview. Your wife can submit the results of her medical exam at her green card interview or you can submit them together with your adjustment of status application. The application for adjustment of status will be denied if the government hasn’t gotten the results of the medical exam, which must be sent in a sealed envelope from the doctor who did the exam.

Final Immigration Interview

Finally, your wife will be required to attend an immigration interview, during which the officer will ask questions about the applications and verify that your wife meets the requirements for a green card based on her marriage. For an adjustment of status application, both the US citizen or permanent resident petitioner and the foreign national beneficiary must appear in person at a local USCIS service center for an interview. If everything goes well after the interview, your wife will be sent her green card. If you apply for an immigrant visa at a US Embassy or Consulate, your wife will have to attend the immigration interview on her own.

Immigration Attorney

Get in Touch With a Qualified Immigration Attorney Today

During your consultation, our visa and immigration attorney will give you an honest assessment of your situation and advise you on how to move forward. From the initial stages of the petition filing process all the way through the Adjustment of Status application and Green Card processing, our attorneys will be there every step of the way. Get in touch with us through our contact form or call the law firm today.

Share this article :

Our Affiliations

Skip to content